Mystery Diagnosis II
(Source: Mayo Clinic) Vitamin D toxicity, also called hypervitaminosis D, is a rare but potentially serious condition that occurs when you have excessive amounts of vitamin D in your body. Vitamin D toxicity is usually caused by megadoses of vitamin D supplements — not by diet or sun exposure. That's because your body regulates the amount of vitamin D produced by sun exposure, and even fortified foods don't contain large amounts of vitamin D.
Signs and symptoms of vitamin D toxicity
The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause symptoms such as poor appetite, nausea and vomiting. Weakness, frequent urination and kidney problems also may occur. Treatment includes the stopping of excessive vitamin D intake. Your doctor may also prescribe intravenous fluids and medications, such as corticosteroids or bisphosphonates.
How much vitamin D is too much?
Taking 50,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day. Doses higher than the RDA are sometimes used to treat medical problems such as vitamin D deficiency, but these are given only under the care of a doctor and only for a short time.
Who is at risk for vitamin D toxicity?
Although vitamin D toxicity is uncommon even among people who take supplements, you may be at greater risk if you have health problems, such as liver or kidney conditions, or if you take thiazide-type diuretics. As always, talk to your doctor before taking vitamin and mineral supplements.
from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
Source: Mayo Clinic
Key Point 1
Regardless of a person’s age and personality, onset of new symptoms should be explored to find out what is causing them. Age should never automatically be determined as the cause of sudden physical or mental status changes in a person.
Key Point 2
Vitamins may seem harmless because they are a part of what our bodies need, but too much of a good thing can cause vitamin toxicity – something that can be very dangerous, and possibly fatal.